Saturday, February 18, 2012

100 year old bicycling record

100 year old sets first-ever hour record mark for his age group

Robert MarchandThe oldest ever track record has been established by the Frenchman Robert Marchand who, over two months after turning 100 years of age, travelled to the World Cycling Centre in Aigle, Switzerland and established the mark 24.251 kilometres.

“I’m not playing at being a champion,” he said. “I just wanted to do something for my 100th birthday.”

The achievement is more about the staggering feat of setting a mark at his age rather than the distance covered, particularly as he could have gone faster. Because of his age, doctors have instructed him not to exceed 110 beats per minutes.

Mr Marchand's next attempt at a record will be spending one hour inside the superstore IKEA.

"I've always marveled the distances my wife and I travelled while looking even for a simple sofa. Now I'm hoping the record books will take account my efforts."

Again, his doctor's have instructed Mr. Marchand not to lift more than 20 kilo boxes as he could risk pulling on a sciatic nerve.

Mikael Ohlsson, CEO of IKEA, will be present for the event and has instructed his maintenance crew to make sure that all arrows to be pointing in the right directions.


No comments: